Tuesday 19 March 2019

# movie # recommendation

Oldboy

Assalamualaikum ! So, here is another movie review update as I am too lazy to do my assignments and all. Enjoy ~

not mine; credited to the rightful owner



Title : Oldboy / Oldeuboi /올드보이
Runtime : 120 minutes
Released Year : 2003
Genre : Mystery / Suspense-Thriller
Country : South Korea
Distributor : Show East
WARNING : Massive violence, adult scenes
Plot :

Oh Dae Soo is a normal businessman who had his family of his own. One night, he was drunk and on his way home with his friend. He made a quick call at phone booth and let his friend talk on his behalf. Oh Dae Soo then woke up in an unfamiliar room. He was locked up for reason that he know nothing of and who did it. With the TV inside his room, he found out that he was framed for murder of his wife. 15 years later he woke up at a rooftop of a building, only to question why. A homeless man came to him and pass a phone and wallet full of cash. When the phone rung,  Dae Soo was challenged to find out who was his kidnapper and the reason in just five days.

Mindblowing, seriously. The plot itself got me almost losing my mind.

SPOILER ALERT

Okay, for once, I am both amazed and disgusted while watching a movie. And the reason for both feeling is because of the plot. I do admit that this is one of the best movie I've ever watched but it was uncomfortable for me when the secret was out (even I had suspected it will be the case). If Oh Dae Soo was me, I am sure that I will be crazy after two weeks being locked up. I can't stay inside a room for a long time, it is suffocating. I am a little bit claustrophobic, so yeah.

Secondly, that kidnapper, he is sure a crazy man. Its insane. How can he locked up someone for 15 freaking years and let them out just for them to play his stupid game ? I mean, Oh Dae Soo did him wrong, yes, but the mistake is something that he is not aware of. And, if you asked me, I don't think what he did was actually so wrong that he deserved to be locked up.

One thing that I should definitely mentioned is, this movie are not suitable for young audience. Full, like fulllllll, of violence. Example ? Cutting the tongue, plucking out teeth using hammer, gunshot and lots of fighting. I don't know how many times that I grimaced while watching the cruel, heartless scenes. Most important, there's adult scenes. It is very uncomfortable while watching this kind of scenes. Especially after I found out the relationship of the two, it is actually more disgusting.

Even though I am no better than a beast, didn't I have the right to live ? - Oh Dae Soo

Watching this again ? I might have to think again. Well, I am not saying that this movie doesn't deserve it but there a lot more to consider. With the blood and the uncomfortable scenes filled like every 15 minutes, I don't think I can do it again. Yea, I like, love crime and thrilling movie like this one but it is just too cruel. I can't bring myself to watch Dae Soo to get played again.

Curious to why Oh Dae Soo was locked up for 15 years ? Then watch this yourself, and you will found out that his kidnapper is psychotic. 7/10 because of uncomfortable scenes bring the rate a little down.

-thes

No comments:

Post a Comment