Wednesday 14 June 2023

# bookreview # english

The Girl On The Train by Paula Hawkins

 Assalamualaikum, good day dearest!


Title: The Girl On The Train

Author: Paula Hawkins

Pages: 323

Genre: Thriller, Mystery

Publisher: Riverhead 

Year Published: 2015

ISBN: 9781594634024

Blurb:

EVERY DAY THE SAME

Rachel takes the same commuter train every morning and night Every day she rattles down the tracks, flashes past a stretch of cozy suburban homes, and stop at the signal that allows her to daily watch the same couple breakfasting on their deck. She's even started to feel like she knows them. Jess and Jason, she calls them. Their life-as she sees it-is perfect. Not unlike the life she recently lost.


UNTIL TODAY

And then she sees something shocking. It's only a minute until the train moves on, but it's enough. Now everything's changed. Unable to keep it to herself, Rachel goes to the police. But is she really as unreliable as they say? Soon she is deeply entangled not only in the investigation but in the lives of everyone involved. Has she done more harm than good?


MIGHT CONTAIN SPOILER


The story was told in three different perspectives and all of them were women, Rachel, Megan and Anna. Who can be trusted? For me, the story started slowly as Rachel rides the train on her way to work while watching and enjoying her make up story of a perfect couple, Jess and Jason, as her own was doomed. Anna, the other woman who destroyed Rachel's marriage. And there's Megan... the missing woman. 


Honestly, there is no likable character in the story, at least not for me. I absolutely dislike Anna as the nature of her character that went for married man itself but she managed to get some likeness from me as the story ending. Then there is Megan, the missing woman who I thought was complete crazy with all of her secrets and cheating habit. And Rachel. I thought I like her. Maybe I did like her. I sympathize with her, a lot. It was not a pleasant thing to be cheated on, for whatever reason there was. But she gets really annoying with all of the stalking behavior, drinking and all that. And of course I would absolutely abhor Tom, her ex-husband. 


The story picked the pace when Megan went missing at the same day Rachel had blacked out her memory and woke up with blood on her head (or is it hand?). The story went on with a very fast pace with Rachel trying to approach the police to tell what she remember but was dismissed due to her condition as an alcoholic. It went on and on about her trying to figure out what really happened on the day she black out and what happen to Megan.


Secrets after secrets came out and in the end, it was not someone who I expect. Not at all. The alteration at the ending was really nerve wrecking for me. I could feel my own breath shorten when Rachel confront that person and everything she went through. Although it ended with everyone safe and sound, I actually hope a better justice for Megan. Overall, I enjoyed the story but I really took my time as the mystery and suspense theme does not really suits me during the time when I read (it was a stressful month for me). Next, I feels like I should watch the movie. Should I?


-thes

No comments:

Post a Comment